Shred, shred, shred! Is there a risk of doing it yourself?
When you shred yourself, it can be a tedious and risky process. An average office shredder seems like an inexpensive way to destroy confidential documents. The office shredder can be risky and more costly than you may think.
Failure to shred correctly, especially in a digital age is risky. Your office will be at risk of becoming victim to identity theft, fraud and other fraudulent crimes.
If you shred yourself, here’s the risks and hidden costs:
- A machine to shred, often called a shredder has a fixed, low up-front price tag. There are additional maintenance, replacement and cleaning costs. Shredding of large amounts of paper in-house can also produce a fine dust, affecting employee health.
- Office shredders can’t handle paper clips and staples. Documents need to also be arranged into easy to shred portions then manually fed into the paper shredder. The employees will also need to empty receptacles and clean up.
- A mistake when shredding can be detrimental. Office shredding often leaves the decisions on what to shred up to the employees. Negligence on an employees behalf can cause significant threat to information safety.
- When shredding is done in the office, the employees are responsible for the process. They often do not have training in document security, retention and disposal. There is also no proof of secure document destruction when shredding in-office.
- Paper can easily be pieced back together and increase the risk of a security breach.
Benefits to using a professional document shredding service:
- Documents are removed from the workplace for shredding with industrial grade equipment so employees are not affected by fine dust.
- A Certificate of Destruction is provided after every shred for audit purposes.
- Staff are cleared to a minimum required by the National Police Records Check
- No need to remove paper clips and staples
- Documents are cross-shredded and destroyed and cannot be reassembled
- All documents provided are disposed under strict guidelines.
Ready to protect your business?
We are 100% Australian owned and operated.
To learn more about how we can protect your documents and security, please contact us on 1800 001 044